Missisquoi Museum Banner

Cornell Mill Site                  Hodge's General Store Site

walbridge barn

Walbridge Barn Site



The Missisquoi Museum is owned and operated by the Missisquoi Historical Society (MHS).

To report typos, errors and omissions,
please send email to: jantle@missisquoimuseum.ca

WELCOME TO THE MISSISQUOI MUSEUM

"History Available - Inquire Within"

Missisquoi Museum

Housed in an 1830 three-story red brick grist mill, the Missisquoi Museum features exhibitions and education programmes which explore the many individuals and events that contributed to the historic development of Missisquoi County.

The Missisquoi Museum houses its collection in 3 different buildings:
The Cornell Mill; the Walbridge Barn and Hodge's General Store.

Cornell Mill

Walbridge Barn

Hodge's General Store








Articles of historical interest began to be collected by the Missisquoi County Historical Society in 1899. From 1963-1964, the Society looked after the growing collection and mounted displays in an old school in Dunham, QC. Eventually they secured the former grist mill in Stanbridge East in which to house the Museum. After much fundraising and preparation, the new home of the Missisquoi Museum was opened to the public on July 19, 1964.

Today, the museum features the "Doris Jones McIntosh Annex", (which houses the Archives) and the "Paige Knight Gallery" which is located on the first floor of the Missisquoi Museum. The gallery is an exhibition space that presents, in partnership with the Carrefour Culturel of Stanbridge East, an array of art from the local community.

The Missisquoi Museum has a collection of over 30,000 artefacts including 4,000 photographs, in addition to archival materials.

Collections are used in the permanent and temporary exhibitions which reflect this region's social, cultural and agricultural history.

VISION

To be a community museum that makes a difference.

MISSION STATEMENT

The MHS is dedicated to the preservation, interpretation and presentation of the history of Missisquoi County.

Located at 2 River Street, Stanbridge East QC, the Museum is open to the public daily, from 11:00 to 4:30 p.m. from the end of May to Mid October.

Links to some of our friends:

Antiquités au fil du temps | Brome County Historical Society | CLD de Brome-Missisquoi | CLD Wine Route | CLD Townships Trail | Canadian Heritage Information Network| Fédération des sociétés d'histoire du Québec | Heritance | Irish Roots Magazine | Le Tour | Missisquoi Quebec Genealogy Research Page | Les Musées de la Montérégie (Montmusée) | Quebec Anglophone Heritage Network | Quebec English-Speaking Communities Research Network | Quebec Family History Society | Quebec Labrador Foundation Richelieu River-Missisquoi Bay Online Atlas | Société des musées québécois | Société d'Histoire de Cowansville |

Go to top of page.



MUSEUM | Our Exhibit | Walbridge Site | Visiting Us? | Events | Our History | Pic of the Month | Archives | Maps | Collections
Education Zone | The Book Corner | Membership to the Historical Society | Paige Knight Gallery | What's New | Special Projects | MHS Cemeteries | Work in Progress | Family Recollections| Français

© Tous droits réservés 2007 Musee Missisquoi

Web site design and hosting donated by PIVOT.ca
mccq-logo